Most of the cases of psoriasis are mid that can be prevented with appropriate skin care. Various skin care home measures can help in prevention or control of psoriasis.
Following are some tips one should prefer to prevent psoriasis:
- Useof moisturizing creams and lotions regularly to avoid dryness. One should also prefer using special moisturizingsoaks or baths to keep their skin moist.
- Preferto shorten exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light or direct sunlight.
- Aloe vera might be another good option which is available in form of gels and creams. One should follow the instructions carefully while using the skin products and/or the other prescribed medicines.
- Avoid using the skin products which cause dryness or other adverse effects on skin.
Those things which can causesymptoms of psoriasis to worsen or lead to flaring up must be avoided. These things include:
- Alcohol. Alcohol use can cause symptoms of psoriasis worse. Try to avoid as much as possible.
- Certain Medicines. People who are onbeta blockers, NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), or lithium, have more severe symptoms of psoriasis as compared to those who are not on medication. To prevent psoriasis it is important to avoid such medicines or if on medication consult your doctor and go for alternatives.
- Infection. Among children, infections show a complex association relationship with the psoriatic lesions. Infections like Strep throat can cause psoriasis in children.
- Excess exposure to sunlight. Ultraviolet radiation have shown to regress the symptoms of psoriasis. In some people shortening ofsun exposureperiodshave shown to reduce the symptoms of psoriasis, but due to much radiation exposure there are chances of skin cancer and sun can cause damage. These sunburns can trigger to worsen symptoms of psoriasis.
- Skin injuries.Injuries like bug-bites, burns, scrape wounds or cutsin the skin may lead to formation of psoriatic patches anywhere on the body, including the site of the injury. This includes injuries to your nails or nearby skin while trimming your nails.
- Smoking. Smoking habits can even flare up psoriasis. It is better to quit.
- Stress and anxiety. Psychological stress and anxiety have shown an association with psoriasis. It can lead to sudden appearance of symptoms or can aggravate the condition.
Some advertisements suggest that there are some diets which can cure psoriasis but no such association has been claimed by any study. Doctors recommend to eat a balanced diet for a healthy lifestyle and to stay healthy.